Most of today’s built-in sound cards are to some degree retaskable,which means that they can be used for more than one thing. That means you can turn your Mic jack into an extra Headphone jack,or why not make them both line outs,and connect them to your surround receiver?
I’ve known for a while that the kernel exposes an interface that makes it possible to retask your jacks,but almost no one seems to use it,or even know about it. So over the past few weeks I’ve been working (from time to time) with HDA-Jack-Retask,a small application that makes this interface easy to use.
Although primarily meant for power users,it focuses on simplicity: Just select your codec,then select which pins you want to override and what you want them to override to: Headphones,Line Out,Mic,Line In,and so on. There are buttons for trying it out right away,and for making your override the boot-time default. And of course,a button for removing all overrides in case things did not go as planned.
Consider it beta quality for now,and it’s one of those “won’t work for everyone” programs,but that’s mostly due to hardware and driver limitations.
It’s available for Ubuntu 11.10,and you can install it by adding ppa:diwic/hda and then installing the hda-jack-retask package. Start it by running “hda-jack-retask” in a terminal. Enjoy!
When you moved from 98 to XP
Did you also upgrade your hardware? A new computer for example?
Do you have the speakers plugged into the correct jack?
Usually on standards compliant motherboards the speaker/headphone/line out jack is green. Your rear channel jack, if you have 4,5 or 7.1 sound capabilities, will usually be black. Your microphone input is usually red.
Does your sound card, whether it be onboard or a seperate card, have it's own software? A lot of SoundBlaster Lives and other models work optimally when you install the useful parts of their control software.
Another step to take would be to try your speakers on another device to eliminate them as suspect
'Vampire Diaries' team talks life, death and Season 6 at Comic-Con: Live-Blog — HitFix
Kat promises a new dynamic. 4:19 p.m. It will be a four month time jump when we return. Everybody is dealing in different ways. 4:19 p.m. "He's still in my hotel room I think," Somerhalder says of the absent Matt Davis. No.
Black 2.5mm 3.5mm Plug Ear Hook Headphone Earphone Microphone
- Product Name : Earphone w Microphone;Material : Plastic, Electronic Parts
- Main Color : Black;Design : Ear Hook Single Side Earphone & Microphone & Two Plug
- Plug Type : 2.5mm, 3.5mm;Plug Spacing : 9mm/ 0.35
- Total Length(Not Stretch) : 136cm/ 53.5 ;Weight : 22g
- Package Content : 1 x Two Way Radio Earphone + Microphone
DBPOWER Voice Control Mini Stereo Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Headsets Headphones w/Microphone,in-the-ear A2DP Sports & Exercise Handfree Earphones Earpieces for iPhone 5s 5c 4s 4, iPad Air 2 3 4, iPod, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices (White)
Musical Instruments (DBPOWER)
- The DBPOWER N975i Bluetooth headset offers the perfect combination of value, function and style for users seeking a hands-free device that is easy to use and simple...
- Simple Pairing technology for pass code-free pairing.
- Multipoint Technology for dual device pairing
- Dedicated on/off switch
- Talk Time: Up to 4 Hours; Standby Time: Up to 300 Hours
JBuds J2 Premium Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating Earbuds Style Headphones (White/Gray)
- Premium sound quality, Compact size, Sleek design, and ultra rugged durability
- 3 sizes of soft silicone ear buds provide a super comfortable, noise reducing fit
- Rich, dynamic soundstage with crisp, tight clarity and booming digital bass.
- Works with every iPod, iTouch, iPhone, mp3 player, CD, portable DVD, PSP, Nintendo DS, MD, and Laptop
- Goldplated 3.5 mm audio jack for premium, no-loss sound connection to your audio device. 4 foot cable.